Preparation Time: 20 min
Baking Time: 50 min
Serves: 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of Llaeth Y Llan Natural yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Glaze (alternatively use Lemon or Vanilla Frosting):
- 1 cup Icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For the cake- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease the loaf pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl.
- Whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla into a 2nd bowl.
- Slowly whisk the ingredients of the 2 bowls together.
- Using a spatula mix the vegetable oil into the cake mix making sure it’s uniform.
- Pour the mix into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a you can poke a knife into the middle and it comes out dry.
- While that is baking put 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan and heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, poke a few holes into the cake and pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake. Allow it to soak in and let the cake cool completely.
- For the glaze- Once the cake is completely cooled, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.