The Old Farm Stable
Tal Y Bryn Farm
The 1334 survey of honour of Denbigh mentions the townships of Llechryd, Berain, Myfoniog and also our home Tal – Y – Bryn. There is evidence of a much older name as well for the farm which is Ael-Y-Bryn which translates to ‘Brow of a Hill’.
Dating to the time of Hywel Dda in the 10th century these townships stretched from the Elwy Valley where we are today to Pentrefoelas some 15 – 20 miles away. They were the property of the Dioses of St Asaph and sections were farmed at different times of the year, the ‘Hendre’ section farmed in winter, the ‘Maifod’ in Spring and the ‘Hafod’ in Summer.
At the time of Henry VIII during the disillusionment of the monasteries, large estates of land were created and Tal-Y-Bryn became a farm and has been noted as one of the first Sunday Schools situated in North East Wales, started by Gruffydd Jones of Llanddywror in the 18th Century.
In the 1890’s Gareth Roberts’ Grandfather bought Tal-Y-Bryn farm, unfortunately bankrupt in the great depression of the 1920’s and the farm sold to the Cefn Estate. Gareth’s father was made a tenant farmer, on his retirement in 1972, Gareth took it upon himself to succeed tenure of Tal-Y-Bryn and bought the Farmhouse and Farm buildings and a small acreage from the Estate.